Monday, November 11, 2013

Back Story

I grew up thinking I was from The South. I am from The Carolinas and I lived on a farm for the first few years of my life. I never realized how privileged I really was. My mama always told me that we didn't have any money. I thought we were poor. I never understood how we could live in a nice house and still be poor. My daddy always took me to church and one day after church he took a homeless man lunch. I knew then how poor people actually lived.
I never had a country accent like most of my family but I thought that was because I spent my summers in Texas and California and Colorado. Now, I live in the true country. When I was a child I would have referred to people like my in-laws as rednecks or hicks. What's so funny, is that they call themselves rednecks. Now, I go home and my mama asks where I got this thick southern accent from. Well, I guess I must be turning into a Southern Mama…

No comments:

Post a Comment